As you may have noticed, this blog is very old. In fact the work here represents everything I have done with respect to blogging (ever). So I thought I would give you some blogging tips from a noobs perspective:
- Write about things you are interested in – You probably represent your readership, if you aren’t interested in writing about your topic why would anyone be interested in reading it? Also it will be a lot harder to motivate yourself to write stuff if you aren’t bothered about it.
- Set yourself a timetable for publishing – Initially I thought I would just publish stuff when I’ve written it. But this led to problems such as multiple posts in a day and periods of not publishing anything. Now I try to publish three times a week, evenly spaced out so articles get exposure and there is new content on the blog.
- Write things ahead of time so you have stuff in the back – Stuff happens. Be prepared. I don’t think there is anything wrong with writing a bunch of articles and then storing them up to publish in line with your timetable. You might find some days you can write loads, but then some days you might not write anything. I think its good to be ready.
- Write about current events – People are generally interested in things that are happening around them. Make some of your posts related to recent news items.
- Read other blogs – Both in and out of your blog’s area. See what people are talking about and how they write (and display) their blog posts.
- Leave useful comments on other blogs – Once you’ve read articles on other blogs, if you have an opinion feel free to leave it. I’m sure the blogger will be very happy when they see someone has left a comment on their blog and they might reciprocate.
- Things will start slow – Sometimes very slow. In the first month of this blog I got about 10 views. But since then viewing figures have been increasing quite quickly. Just persevere and keep putting those posts out.